It can be tricky knowing exactly what to write in a leaving card.
All too often there are the attempts to be funny that are just plain rude or far too many offerings of ‘all the best [insert name here]’ or ‘best wishes’.
Sometimes writing a quote or poem can be a unique touch, here are several ideas that might work well or help inspire your own personal message.
Five funny comments that aren’t too awkwardly insulting
1) It’s sad to see you go, but you did have the best desk and I’ll look after it well.
2) I’ve worked with many, many people in my career and I can honestly say that you’ve been one of them.
3) This is not goodbye. I will still be watching you outside office hours.
4) Don’t worry – I won’t tell anyone it was you
5) You'll be back.
Six thoughtful messages to put in a card
1) Sorry you’re leaving, may your future be bright and your life full of good things
2) I’ve learned a lot working with you these past years. I know you’ll be successful in your new position. Thank you and farewell
3) I’m seriously going to miss you here. Best of luck in your new endeavour. See you soon
4) I’ve really enjoyed working with you. Good luck at your new job.
5) Wishing you the best in this next phase of your career. Congratulations and best of luck.
6) You can definitely look forward to new opportunities on the path ahead.
11 Quotes by influential people .....
1) Success is no accident. It is hard work, perseverance, learning, studying, sacrifice and most of all, love of what you are doing or learning to do – Pele
2) A dream doesn’t become reality through magic; it takes sweat, determination and hard work – Colin Powell
3) One of my mantras is focus and simplicity. Simple can be harder than complex: You have to work hard to get your thinking clean to make it simple. But it’s worth it in the end because once you get there, you can move mountains – Steve Jobs
4) Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work – Thomas A. Edison
5) Let the beauty of what you love be what you do – Rumi
6) Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life – Confucius
7) We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid – Benjamin Franklin
8) Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work – Aristotle
9) I know of no single formula for success. But over the years I have observed that some attributes of leadership are universal and are often about finding ways of encouraging people to combine their efforts, their talents, their insights, their enthusiasm and their inspiration to work together – Queen Elizabeth II
10) All life demands struggle. Those who have everything given to them become lazy, selfish, and insensitive to the real values of life. The very striving and hard work that we so constantly try to avoid is the major building block in the person we are today – Pope Paul VI
11) Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably the reason why so few engage in it – Henry Ford
Three poems that work (and are not too soppy!) ....
1) May the road rise up to meet you May the wind be always at your back May the sun shine warm upon your face May the rain fall soft upon your field And until we meet again May God hold you in the palm of his hand!
2) A (colleague/co-worker) yes... but also a friend I’ll miss you very much My email address is [insert] Please, please let’s keep in touch!
3) You leave, oh well, I’ll say farewell No matter where you are, Au Revoir ‘Til we meet again, Auf Wiedersehn!
Poems Source :Verses4cards